Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Martha vs. Mary

Exactly three times in the past week, the Biblical story of Martha and Mary has been presented to me in one way or another. I knew I had read this story before (it is very short!), but I had never really given it very much thought. But just now, after the third time in one week that it has crossed my consciousness, I am beginning to wonder if God is trying to tell me something.

Am I being too much like Martha and not enough like Mary? Of course I am! That's obvious. But how do I switch that around? I know I should expend more time and effort on developing relationships with others, spending time in the Word, and hearing God's message for me, than on cleaning my bathroom (which I should be doing right now), preparing meals, and paying the bills. BUT, those latter things all need to be done, too. Today, I am searching my heart to find a way to balance the "Mary" and "Martha" aspects of my life. Suggestions are welcome. :)

3 comments:

  1. Hire a house keeper and an accountant...

    Kidding! Good post, I'm interested to see what people suggest, because this is something that I struggle with all of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, little "O",. you better save some Cheerios for your Pappa. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, speaking of repeatedly receiving the same message... Did you see {in}courage today? http://www.incourage.me/2011/01/are-you-martha-or-mary.html

    ReplyDelete